Senior Design Engineer
We are seeking an established and proven Senior Design Engineer, from a Mechanical Engineering background.
You will become part of a driven and passionate, close knit Engineering team. Working within a recognised and global engineering business, based in Poole. Who specialise in the design and manufacture of both off the shelf and custom engineered lifting solutions.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will be preparing design briefs and detailed specifications, to facilitate the companies comprehensive custom engineered lifting solution demands.
As the Senior Engineer within the Design Engineering Team, you will be acting in a Supervisory role, supporting the Design Engineers day to day. As well as supporting the New Product Development Team with the design, research and development of new products from initial concepts through to prototyping, pre-production and final release.
The role demands will be exciting and varied, driven by the demands and requirements of our industry and global customer base. As a result it requires a ‘pro-active team player’, who is capable of prioritising tasks, thinking innovatively and creatively, as well as communicating effectively at all levels and with a meticulous eye for detail.
Product specific internal training will be provided, however lifting equipment design experience is preferred and incredibly advantageous. Regardless of experience, the successful candidate must be willing to embrace a challenge and learn our niche products and industry demands quickly.
We are very much ‘one team’ and as a result the willingness and ability to support colleagues, working closely and professionally with other Departments and Management is absolutely essential.
Company Behavioural Values
We expect wholehearted buy in to our company behaviours, by all employees. These values are critical to our success as one close knit team:
Essential Candidate Requirements
- Degree or HND/HNC in Mechanical Engineering, supported by relevant working experience.
- At least 3 year’s experience as a Senior Design Engineer, or in a similar role requiring supervisory qualities as well as senior engineering expertise.
- Extensive AutoCad Software experience and familiarity.
- Project management experience, taking projects/customer enquiries from concept to completion while communicating effectively and professionally to various internal and external stakeholders.
- Flexible and adaptable, in order to work on a number of projects/enquiries simultaneously.
- Ability to work to customer specifications and ensure deadlines are consistently achieved.
- Meticulous eye to detail, to check own work and the work of others.
- Able to motivate others, sharing own knowledge and best practice through effective interpersonal and supervisory skills.
- Strong all round communication skills, with the ability to easily convey ideas to clients, senior management and colleagues at all levels.
- Desire to research and develop own knowledge and skills, as required by product/design development.
Desirable Candidate Requirements
- Solidworks Software experience and familiarity
- DFMEA knowledge and experience
- Supplier selection and assurance familiarity
- Experience in designing semi/fully automated lifting/handling solutions, utilising hydraulics and remote control/wireless systems is highly desirable.
- Chartered Engineer status or membership of a relevant professional institution is desirable, but not essential.
- Becoming a technical specialist in relation to our products, developing extensive knowledge of lifting law
- Preparing design briefs and detailed specifications
- Design and draughting using AutoCAD and Solidworks Software
- Producing detailed setout drawings, fabrication drawings and general arrangement (GA) drawings
- Selecting appropriate materials, section sizes, and components
- Producing full technical files for company products
- Producing literature for User Instructions and marketing materials
- Comprehensive competitor product research
- Researching and engaging with our customer base to develop products to meet customer demand, needs and expectations
- Customer visits where required at enquiry stage, presenting business and understanding customer requirements to design and offer best solution including writing pitch document
- Liaising with various stakeholders such as internal colleagues and subcontractors and suppliers
- Supporting the design, research and development of new products from initial concepts through to prototyping, pre-production and final release
- Visiting subcontractor to assist them when necessary to carry out preproduction assembly / trials, and attend testing of products (on-site testing to be co-cordinated by the Project Management Team)
Location: Poole, Dorset – Office Based.
Working Hours: Monday to Thursday 08:30 to 17:30. Friday 08:30 to 16:00.
Competitive Salary: £32,500 - £37,500.
Additional: Key performance indicator driven incentives are issued company wide, either annually or quarterly, at Director discretion.
Pension: We provide a company pension scheme in accordance with UK legislative requirements.
Parking: Free parking, as well as a bike shelter is available on site.
Tea & Coffee: Provided to all employees.
To be considered for the role a successful candidate must provide an up to date CV and a tailored Covering Letter, proving that they meet the essential candidate requirements for the role.
A comprehensive curriculum vitae and supporting covering letter is required for an application to be considered.